A Memorable Communion

5:00 PM FUMCA Revive Worship 0 Comments



26 While they were eating, Jesus took bread, blessed it, broke it, and gave it to the disciples and said, “Take and eat. This is my body.” 27 He took a cup, gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, “Drink from this, all of you. 28 This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many so that their sins may be forgiven. 29 I tell you, I won’t drink wine again until that day when I drink it in a new way with you in my Father’s kingdom.” 30 Then, after singing songs of praise, they went to the Mount of Olives.
Matthew 26:26-30

A quick story on my most memorable communion. Growing up, I was in Boy Scouts. A few Scout Sundays, I attended the Lutheran church where my troop met.  Having ten years of communion under my belt, I walked to the alter expecting to have bread and juice. Little did I know, I was about to have my first taste of wine. The taste in my mouth was not the Welch’s I was used to but a nasty, dry taste which contorted my face into the universal look of “this is gross.” My dad got a good laugh though, knowing the entire time what was in the cup.

Communion traditions are different from church to church and even change over time at our own church. If you have been going to FUMCA as long as I have, you probably remember partaking of communion with little crackers in a dish. One thing that doesn’t change is that communion serves as a reminder of Jesus’ sacrifice for us. 

Food is not only a source of nourishment for us, but it also serves as a source of comfort. Bread and wine were staples of the diet for the people of that time. I think Jesus’ knew what he was doing when he made the comparison. He was telling the disciples this bread and wine fills you up but so do I. I will sustain you; I will fill you up. 

We all could use a daily reminder of the sacrifice that Jesus made. Our diets are far more expansive than those in Jesus’ time, but we will never be truly full unless we let Jesus be the one who fills us up.

-James Martin
Hi, my name is James Martin. I am 29 years old and have been going to FUMCA my entire life. I am a Texas Tech alum and a practicing attorney.

0 comments: