Pruning

4:50 PM FUMCA Revive Worship 0 Comments


“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener.  He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit, He prunes, so that it will be even more fruitful ...I AM the vine and you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. “
John 15:1-8

I have a healthy crop of wild grapevines growing in my backyard.  The vines originate in my neighbors backyard, growing over her fence to the top of my arbor.  The main trunk vines are always left to flourish, the branches have to been pruned about every two weeks. Ugh! These grape branches (or the little shop of horrors as I often call them) grow rapidly and are in constant need of attention and pruning. 
So I get my ladder, and like Edward Scissorhands, I prune away.  The results are heaping piles on the ground.  Amazing to watch how quickly the withering begins away from the main trunk vine. The leafy green branches still above me are reaching and twisting, threatening to forge their own paths.  How quickly they grow out of control.

Are we not like this?  When left to our own self-seeking, self-centered devices we seek our own path.  We get off course and entangled in areas of life because we aren’t where God has called us.  We get distracted and entangled in our thoughts or activities that have no bearing on the Kingdom of Heaven.  They’re fruitless endeavors.  We wither so quickly in despair and worry when our focus is off.
Praise God that He desires to pursue us and prune us, to grow us into a beautiful, yet messy, garden from our chaos. His pruning redirects our paths, allowing more energy to be spent on producing fruit.
I have days where I feel like the grape branches growing out of control, forging through my day, my way (have to say those never go well).
And then I have the days I really feel the Lord’s pruning and in obedience take His path instead.
As I have had the privilege to study God’s Word intensely and intently over the last ten years, I have come to notice His hands in my daily life, where He has revealed Himself in some new way over and over again – this never gets old!
So many stories to share – testimony . . . The Lord has given me a powerful testimony.

So I would like to share how His pruning in my life brought fruit.
I’ve been in leadership in Bible Study Fellowship for many years and am in contact with many members on a regular basis.  One woman, after attending our Welcome Class, contacted me to tell me she wouldn’t be coming in the fall because of her overwhelming circumstances with the death of her father and the cleaning out and selling of his house.  She expressed her disappointment but said she would have to withdraw.  I was equally disappointed to read her email but understood the circumstances.  After reading the email, the Lord kept me from responding to her at that time.  After a few days, I had forgotten about the email.  One morning a week or so later, while in my prayer time, I had my Bible and a devotional in front of me.  After reading the devotional with the noted scripture verses I feel like the Holy Spirit prompted me in my spirit. What I heard was “She needs to know that”

I immediately knew who He was referring to, although I couldn’t even recall her name.  I’m not pushy in nature and I don’t normally try to convince people, especially in her circumstances, to reconsider attending. . . but this was prompted by the Lord in my quiet time with Him.  He prunes our hearts to His path, not our own.

So, I proceeded to email her.  I told her that I had prayed that morning and that the Lord had placed her heavy on my heart and that I felt compelled to send to her what I was reading.  Funny (amazing) how the Lord’s Words are always so spot on!

            “Spending time alone with me is essential for your well being.  It is not a luxury, or an option, it is a necessity. Therefore do not feel guilty about taking time to be with me.  Remember Satan is the accuser of believers.  He delights in heaping guilt feeling upon you, especially when you are enjoying my presence.  Talk with me about what you are experiencing and ask Me to show you the way forward. Come near to me and I will come near to you.”

I went on to share some scripture with her.  I prayed before I pushed the send button.  I thought she is either going to be grateful or offended!
Then I remembered who it was who asked me to send it, then pressed the button before I talked myself out of it.  I didn’t hear back from her for some time.  My mind began to wonder. (here comes the doubt from the accuser) “She must think I’m a bible thumping church lady. I really should not have sent all the scripture, she doesn’t need me preaching to her in her distress.” etc, etc.
Finally after days of self-consuming doubt (Lord forgive me in my unbelief) the response comes!  She tells me “You are right in what you say. I will come.  If God is for us, then who can be against us.  I will let Jesus lead my way.”

All I could think was,  “Wow! I’m standing in awe Lord, once again.”
I checked our roster online last week- just curious - there she was.
Joy in my heart!  I know the Lord has brought her to the place where He wants her to be so He can minister to her heart, prune the branches growing away from Him, and refocus Her energy to Him.
Needless to say, God’s hands were orchestrating and pruning and creating beauty.
The Lord pruned my heart to reach another who needed some pruning.
This is to the Father’s glory.

I Am the vine, you are the branches.”

-Gretchen Hosea.  
I’m married with two children. I spend most of my time caring for my family, serving as a youth small group leader here at FUMC and serving in Bible Study Fellowship. I love spending time in God’s Word and in His creation.









0 comments: